Tuesday, August 5, 2003

The Times, They Are A-Changin'

August 5th, 2003

I'm getting transferred to Berkeley, next week. I thought about getting rid of the house, but... it doesn't feel right. I can keep it, keep just paying the property taxes on it. There's enough fundage in Mom's settlement to cover that for several years. That may be what it takes, but dammit I'm getting my medical degree. Then it's onward with the plan. I'm going to kick ass, be a hot Doogie Howser, have my whirlwind romance with the love of my life and have gorgeous and brilliant babies.
But the degree comes first. I'll have to live on campus, but the good news is the Alta Bates Medical Complex is just a hop skip and jump away from the dorms. Meaning, I can get there on foot. I can sell my piece of shit car, apply for scholarships and maybe not have to touch Mom's money. I feel like I should save it for something really important. What, like school? Well, yeah that's important. But I think I can do this without her money. I didn't do it her way so I don't completely feel like I deserve to use her money. Not yet.
Hal is getting released from the hospital tomorrow. "Until the tumors come back," he says. So I don't have to worry about him getting manhandled in the ward without me to look after him. I don't think he's got anyone at home, though. I feel kinda sad for him. I gave him my cell number, so he can call if he gets too lonely.
Deep breaths.
I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment