Sunday, January 2, 2011

Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk

It's been a long time since I picked this thing up. I guess with Nevermore around I haven't felt the need so much to talk to myself.
Let's see, what's new... I finished Med School and my residency. I managed to pay off the remainder of my college debt early last year. Hal's money and my mom's money were put into high-yield savings accounts. Of all people, it was Nevermore who suggested that. Not really a people but I guess when some...thing... sticks around long enough it's kind of a habit to think of him as more than just an animal.
So, yeah. I've been getting investment tips from a bird. He's a mouthy son of a bitch, but he's my mouthy son of a bitch. In the past few years he's run off exactly two study buddies and five blind dates and I've given up on having a social life.
It turns out that was for the best, because I got a message from my dad telling me to get my ass to Vegas pronto. It's nice not having to explain shit when I need to disappear. So tonight I'm covering all of the furniture and putting a hold on my mail. I told work I need to go on a sabbatical, which wasn't news to them. They've been trying to get me to take a vacation for two years. Alan, my department supervisor, is afraid I'll burn out and they'll lose me.

Oh, semi-interesting developments. I eat and sleep way less than I used to, even when I first started med school. I got a lot stronger, and I kept up at target practice with Sibyl. I can't take her to a normal shooting range, but at least there are some quiet woods up in the hills.
Nevermore, who still won't tell me what his name is, actually lets me go into work alone now. Has for about a year. He does tend to follow me, but at least he waits outside the building.
I've been studying Greek, too. Figured I should know the language of my family. That stuff, knowing who my dad really is, hasn't gotten any less weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment