Monday, June 20, 2011

Intermission

July 27th, 2011

It's been a busy and quiet month. The kids are now off on their own quest things, they left right after the wedding.
So aside from a few comings and goings, it's pretty much just been me and Gunnar back at the house. The Berkeley house, I mean. I'm selling Mom's house, it's time to let go. So yeah, pretty much me and him. It's a little weird but definitely not at all unbearable. I think I'd just gotten used to having a house full of people, and now there's just me, and him, and quiet, and Nevermore - which, now that I think of it, kinda takes care of the quiet - and a dwarf named Dorthen who snorts at the beer in my house but drinks it anyway.
Dorthen, who hates to be called Francois for some reason, showed up at my house a couple of days before Gunnar and I left for New Orleans. I guess Dorthen's other project is done and he's going to just be hanging around our house. Drinking, bitching and building. Not necessarily in that order. When Dorthen showed up, he brought some package he handed off to Gunnar. It was from Heimdall, for the boys.
Nemean. Fucking. Baseball. Gloves. Like, gloves made from the hide of a Nemean Bear. Of course I started crying when Gunnar showed them to me.
Speaking of kids, we got a postcard from China the other day. The kids say they're coming home soon to try to help Azzeza out. I haven't seen anything of her since well before the wedding, which concerns me. A little. I mean, she's probably got plenty of ghostly things to do but I've been wanting to say hi.
Oh, and Camila and Jack are both gone. Jack just kinda walked off. Tossed some chalk at Nate, gave Gunnar a fistbump, said 'bye to me. I told him he was still an asshole, but to call us if he needed.
Camila just left a note. Said we, or maybe just I, "owed" her. I don't owe her shit, for the record. Great thing about free will, the choices you make are your own weight to carry. But while we're on the topic of who owes who, I did make the new orphan steward of Mag Mell promise not to make any sort of retaliation against her. I've also made it clear to Gunnar that while what she did pissed me off, I believe it was for a reason and while I'm not gonna die for her, I'd have her back if Crazy Cordelia shows up to dish out some hurt on her father's murderer. Though, maybe now that she's gone, that will keep those all that trouble off of our doorstep.
Probably not.

The plan was, originally, to head to Guinnee while we were waiting for the Eye to be dealt with. That didn't go the way we planned, because of all the preparations and the work we started on the house and waiting for the others to get ready it's taken us this long just to be sure we were even going to Guinnee.
I'd spent some time with Luc, figuring out how to even get in. He didn't know anything about raising the dead out of Guinnee, he said the dead should stay dead. I completely agree.
But my choices are:
- Raise the dead and go against the laws of nature
- Leave shit the way it should be and consequently let Erzulie keep fucking with me, and maybe try to take one of my sons

Quite frankly, both of those choices suck on a titanic scale. But the second choice, that's the one that would probably definitely end in both me and Gunnar killing someone else if they tried to come take one of our kids. We've had that conversation before, back when it was all hypothetical. The first choice is more like reverse murder if you think about it. It's just as unnatural as murder, and while I'm extremely uncomfortable with going against the natural order of things I'm more comfortable with that than I am with having to kill more of Erzulie's kids or letting her have one of mine.
And now that I'm in a position to really think about it, I understand why she's so pissed. Kinda. I mean, Marie fucked up. I don't know why she was following Kane and I still don't really care. But I get why a mother is so pissed that one of her kids is dead, even if that death occurred because that kid fucked up.

At least I managed, after a long conversation, to talk Nate into going to Germany to help the rest of our friends. He would have had to go anyway because I wasn't going to take him into the underworld with me, but I'm glad he made the choice voluntarily. Stranding a friend in a cemetery when he's trying to help me might put a bit of a strain on our only-recently-solidified relationship. He's fucking stubborn. So am I. He kept saying that he was partially responsible for what I did in Vegas, and I kept saying he was full of it. But it's tricky trying to convince someone that a task is important enough that it has to be accomplished with all due haste, but that it's not so important that it's worth sacrificing the lives of others. For a brief moment Gunnar and I even considered putting Guinnee off even longer, if it would take too long and keep us from being able to help our friends. Then he went and talked to Marie Laveau, and when he came back he just said, "We're going to Guinnee." Like I'm gonna argue.
I mean, I lied when I told Nate I was worried about being broken by Erzulie and her "subcontractors." I'm not worried that she'll break me. Not to say I don't think she could, I just don't really think it would stop me for long. I'd get over it, or I'd try, and in the meantime I'd just keep doing my fucking job cuz that's what I have to do.
I am worried, however, that she'll harm my sons in the process and for that... I'd have to kill her.

No comments:

Post a Comment