Sunday, June 19, 2011

Why Do I Keep Counting?

"There's a plane and I am flying
There's a mountain waiting for me
Oh these years have been so trying
I don't know if I can use them
Am I strong enough
To be the one?
Will I live to have some children?
Help me get down,
I can make it,
Help me get down
If I only knew the answer
I wouldn't be bothering you, Father..."
The Killers, Why Do I Keep Counting?

Dad showed up today to tell us that yes, the world is still in danger because no, that wasn't Ixion whose neck got snapped by Hercules.

Dad took one look at me, raised his eyebrows, and I herded him to a place that was elsewhere so that we could talk in private. I told him that I don't want anyone else to know, it's probably safer that way. We've got enemies already, people who would likely be thrilled to use this news against us. People who probably wouldn't be thrilled by the logical suspicion that Heimdall and Apollo are getting new Scions. Or people who just wanna fuck with us.
Dad agreed to keep it quiet, for now. Maybe (hopefully?) I'm just being paranoid. He also offered to do this... thing... where he said he'd make sure the boys would be strong and healthy when they were born. I'm not sure how to describe it, some sort of blessing that I could probably do for other people but like most of my tricks, I can't use them on myself.
"I didn't wanna have to ask," I grinned at him. "But I would have. It's gonna be twins," I told him. "Boys, and you and Heimdall aren't allowed to fight because you're both getting Scions."
His eyes lighted a little, but he didn't say anything about the Scion comment. He put both his hands on my abdomen and just said, "You know, boys are a handful..."
I felt this energy, warm and tingling, running through my body and heard the faintest, briefest flutter of two almost-heartbeats. And I gasped, put my hands over his and promptly started crying.
"You'll be a great mother, Laurel," Dad said as he kissed me on the forehead. "Have you thought of names?"
"Gunnar and I haven't really talked about it, yet," I blinked, and kept crying. Yeah, I think it's gonna be one of those types of pregnancies. Where I'm crying all the time, for no fucking reason. Nobody will ever suspect a thing.
"Except we know that we can't raise them ourselves. We can't quit what we're doing and we don't know where to go from there." I wiped my eyes with the heels of my palms, sniffling as Dad took his hands off my stomach. The tears dried up as quickly as they'd come. Great.
"Um, but I really like Alexander, and Erik. Good names for future conquerors."
Dad nodded at the names, but when he spoke it was about what Gunnar and I had realized. "Then you're really ready for the next step, kiddo. I hope you understand now why I couldn't be around when you were younger." His voice swelled a little. "It's the hardest... second hardest thing you'll ever do." After watching the way Hercules looked at his little boy... I can imagine what the first is. "But you'll realize it's also one of the most important things you'll ever do. It'll force them to become strong, maybe even stronger than if you were there." He looked at me very intently. I guess he was talking about me there. I wanted to hit him, to scream at him, because I don't want my sons to have to be strong. I know they will be, gods I know they will be. But I wish it weren't a matter of necessity.
"So this is top secret then?" He made some weird spy face, at least I think that's what he was trying to do. He put a finger over his lips and raised one eyebrow. It was kinda comical; I wish I'd thought to take a picture to show the kids. And this is Grandpa being a dork.
"Mum's the word, kiddo, just be aware you can't keep it from everyone. Gunnar's dad is more perceptive than I and I got it right away."

I imagine Gunnar's reveal will sound a lot like "Hey Dad, how's it going? Good? Good. Laurel's-pregnant-don't-tell-anyone-bye!"

"I'll try to swing back by soon," Dad said as he hugged me and faded away. "Say hi to Gunnar for me, and don't do anything foolish, you're fighting for three now!"

Yeah. Diving into the middle of the ocean is totally not foolish. I mean, considering the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment