Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Friends

Went karaoke-ing (is that a word? I don't know. It can be now) with Nate tonight. I smuggled the bird in a backpack, asking for a private room, because I knew that there was no way I was leaving with his hero for alcohol and music and getting away without Nevermore.

None of us were great (I humbly think that I won at quality, while Nate and the bird tied for enthusiasm), but oh my gods it was fun.
It started out as an act of kindness. I wanted to make sure Nate was ok after hearing he had to turn in his badge. It ended up doing me a lot of good too, though.

We talked a little, drank a lot, sang some amount in between.
Nevermore is a huge Van Halen fan, it turns out. He does an oddly fantastic impression of David Lee Roth. "Pan-a-MA!!" Squawk. Flap. Stumble.

The conversation was... non-linear, to say the least (blame the drinks, which were copious).
I think it started with us talking about Nate's love life, which was a surprise. That we talked about it, not that he has one. Dammit. That came out wrong.
And he made it clear that his volunteering for that wedding, back in Vegas (fucking forever ago!) was just a cover thing. And asked if my perfume attracts Scions. I'm not entirely sure what that was about. I kinda sniffed at my shirt, because I couldn't remember what I was wearing, but I think I said something brilliant like, "It's just sandalwood." And vodka, which Nevermore made me spill, trying to prove he could do the choreography from "Everybody Wants Some" (he can't). Far as I know, it takes more than vodka and sandalwood to lure up god-kids. The kind I'd want to lure, anyway. Not that I'm trying to lure one anyway, or ever was. Fuck. That came out wrong too.
So, yeah. There's a girl, back in Vegas, and he was set to marry her. Then being different complicated things. Like it does.
I think we're gonna stop on the way so he can talk to her. He asked what kind of ring says "I want you back in my life and I'm sorry," or something like that. A ring might not be the best idea. I told him not to get her a watch, those are terrible gifts for a woman. And no rings, unless he's proposing (again?), and if he is proposing not to be vague. I might have said something about Gunnar. No, I did say something about Gunnar. And I'm glad that Nevermore was hopping around on the speakers and not paying attention when I did, because Nate caught on effin' quick, and if the bird had heard that word then everyone in the house would know how badly I suck at the words "low... profile."
But we weren't talking about me, we were talking about Nate. I told him, apology first. Let that sink in, see if she can handle the stresses of Scion lovin', and ease her into the accompanying weirdness.
"Weirdness, like talking birds...
and trash frogs...
and shadows that try to eat you ...
and mischief... GODS just... leaving shit in your mailbox...
and knowing where you live...
and deserts that eat a month of your life...
and... stuff like that."

It was a good night. I get the feeling Nate's going to be a good friend.

"Bright light almost blinding, black night still there shining,
I can't stop, keep on climbing, looking for what I knew...
So anytime somebody needs you, don't let them down, although it grieves you,
Some day you'll need someone like they do, looking for what you knew.
Mmm, I'm telling you now, The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now, It's very easy just... "
Led Zeppelin, Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment