Monday, March 28, 2011

The Major Lift

We took Ty home, because that is what I do with screaming racists I find in the exploding, time warping desert. That is just how I roll.
We realized then, as we all got out phones to make phone calls and check texts and signals that WE HAD BEEN GONE A MONTH.
Nevermore's had standing orders to just head back home if I'm gone for more than three days, so of course I was worried that everyone was going to think we blew up with the hotel.
The kids were really glad to see us, which was a relief. I've been spending time with them when I can, mostly around their bedtime, and I'm really proud of how well they've adjusted. They've been doing great. Susan got them all in school, and they're all doing phenomenally. Gunter's been helping out with Brendan, and even sweet little Azeeza has made some ghost friends. Oh and Brendan used some illusory powers to make a fake group of us to fill in while the real uses were in the desert. He was able to convince the agency that his home life here is stable and normal. I hope that's true. I should get the papers to adopt him in a few days.
I'm adopting a kid.
I hope I don't screw him up. I hope the mere proximity of me doesn't screw any of them up.

Ty got settled, more or less. It took two days for him to give up on trying to usurp my claim to the scream throne. Guess Sway is nasty shit to come down from. Maybe Sway was the pediatric version of this crap, I don't think it was supposed to work on us older kids. Like Gunnar said once, "fucking drugs."
While Ty was still nursing his hangover, someone blew the hotel to kingdom come. Guess Dad got my message. Then there was a knock on my door. I ran to get it, and there was Horace. I wasn't sure whether to be glad or relieved or suspicious or what. Too fucking tired. He looked tired too. Smelled like he was going to make my shower cry uncle.
I told him I was sorry for leaving him in the desert. I just didn't think we could have taken the creepy angels, and Pan, and protected Horace and Ty, and still have the energy to walk back. That is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
Anyway, I guess it was a good thing that I rattled off a prayer to Dad. Otherwise Horace might still be stuck. Dad told Horus and that is how the hotel exploded. Because of Horus, not because they were talking.
Anyway, Horace had a message for me and Susan from Dad. He was proud of us. Then a message just for me. "Keep up the good work, peach." I'm still working on processing that one. It's all good, but... Well, it's another episode of "Foot, Meet Mouth" starring yours truly. More on that later, I guess.

That night I tried sleeping again. I can't shake off this tiredness, but it's the same shit on a different day.
And after night three of waking up screaming, babbling and ultimately not able to do anything to shake it off besides curl up against Gunnar or get up and make a drink, I think I'm going to give up sleep for Lent.

Still, not all bad. Horace made it out, we found Ty, we got Brendan out of abusive foster-custody, and that's really the least of the good news.
Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment