Tuesday, March 29, 2011

If I Ever Leave This World Alive....

The paperwork for Brendan Gair came today. I told the guys I was going to have my lawyer look it over quickly before I signed it, just to make sure I was getting the best possible terms for the kid. They really didn't need to come, it's not like I was going to need to intimidate the lawyer into doing anything.
It was true, it just wasn't the whole truth.
I'm more or less capable of reading and interpreting a legal document.

I'm glad I went alone, though. One less "Laurel freaks out" moment afterward for everyone to witness, but I'll get to that eventually.
The main reason I went was to have my will updated.
Previously I'd arranged for everything to go to charities; animal shelters, the hospital and an arts program for a few of the schools around here.
With this draft, I opted for something a little less ambiguously philanthropic. In the event that something goes terribly awry, I've arranged for Susan to get the house in Berkeley. I've also set up a college fund for her, whether I die or not. She's talked about getting into psychology, and she's good with people.
Gunnar will get my house in Los Angeles. I figure that will be helpful if he ever needs a base on the West Coast. I'd also leave Nevermore in his care, if I weren't pretty sure that Dad would just pass him on to Susan or use him for something else.
I'll give Brendan Gair the Impala, since when he gets old enough he'll need something to drive. My money they can all split; Gunnar, Susan, Charlotte, Gunter and Brendan. I don't know what the future holds for them. I imagine Gunnar will keep up his own work, and might occasionally need some money for a vacation. Or to cover exploding hotel rooms.
I could easily see the rest of them getting involved in the same line of work as us, and not needing to work really increases our ability to get shit done. I feel a little better, now that that's taken care of.
I think I'm ready to go to New Orleans now.

No comments:

Post a Comment