Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Apology Song

Apollo Pythias. Phil Palostoya. Harold Della'Alba. Herald of the Dawn. Saul Kladakos. Sol Scion (I mean, really, even I'd figured out the Greek root of that last name. You could have done better with that one).
Sorry Dad, you know I've always been bad at anagrams and alibis. I figured it out after Horace's message, though. But since Hal was the only one who ever called me "peach," I guess figuring it out didn't require a tremendous amount of detective skills.
I'm not sure what to say. I guess "Thank you" and "I'm sorry for being such a bit...ter person" might be a good start.
I hope you know how much I appreciate that time. I never said it and I'm sorry for that, but I know I couldn't have made it without your help. You helped me get sane again when I was really lost. You nudged me toward Med School, and then called me to Vegas, and everything I have now... I can, and I should, thank you for it. I'm sorry I didn't see it before, how you've been helping me get to everywhere I'm supposed to be so that I can have everything I've wanted in my life.
My career. My friends, among them my sister and the other kids from the compound. I'm signing the paperwork to adopt one of them soon.
And then there's Gunnar...
He asked me to marry him, Dad. Kinda. I think. We're gonna talk about it again when I get my head pulled back together, and I'm not sure when we'll get to it anyway but... I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you could be there.
But I'm starting to get the idea of how busy you are, so I understand if that's not possible.
Anyways, I've realized that I wouldn't have any of it if you hadn't sat in that hospital bed and told me I was "meant for ministering."
I'm sorry I never told you then what it meant to me, just to have someone who would wait until I was ready to talk and listened when I did talk.
It made those long nights when the nightmares kept me out of bed so much more bearable. It was exactly what I needed then, and it's just what I've needed from Gunnar now.
I'd have never met him if you hadn't called me to Vegas. So thanks. For everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment