Monday, April 11, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

So we got in the cars, hashed together a plan, Nate became a compass again, and Gunnar google-mapped us a path to this lake place. We got there ahead of Caleb, with enough time to evac the area. There were civilians in a small abode, whom Brendan convinced to GTFO. Camila and I talked to the folks surveying the lake, who weren't happy about leaving their shit behind but I was too busy saving their existence to really care whether they were happy.
If they'd known what was coming they'd have thanked me. But they didn't know, so instead they were a lot less than grateful and that's ok because they were all still fucking breathing. They had to leave some equipment behind because it was either that or stay another two hours and pack it up. I told them to leave it, they could come get it later. I was even nice enough to tell them that it might be destroyed when they came back, depending on how mean things got with Caleb. That didn't sit well, and the guy I'd been talking to wanted some contact info for me. I gave him my full name, my cell number, my home number, my email address. The foundation for a good identity theft, now that I think about it. At least I didn't give him my social and my date of birth.
Probably not the best decision I've made, but definitely not the worst.
After we got the site cleared we got settled in some spots Gunnar had scouted out for cover. He, Camila and I were on the west side of the lake. Nevermore was with Jack, Vader and Brendan on the north end and I think Nate was on the east side. We all got off some surprise shots at Caleb when he finally showed up, but ze bullets... zey did nothing. Just bounced off of his skin in a disappointingly anticlimactic way. I remember thinking, "Well, that bodes well for us."
Then I tried what Huginn said, but I guess I'm not very good at ignoring that "do no harm" promise I made. It didn't even make him blink.
But Nate was fucking brilliant and disarmed the guy. Repeatedly. Which was nothing short of incredible, and beautiful and heavenly. Also beautiful was the biblical type of hurt Jack kept putting on the bastard.
The rest of us tried to do the same, I even switched weapons and borrowed Gunnar's axe. My plan was to hack a hole in his back and it was a great plan but the execution of said plan kinda sucked.
Oh and Jack broke Caleb's wrists while holding the bastard down. Someone got the bright idea to trade off pinning him, once we were able to get him held down. Gunnar rifled through his pockets, stealing the "key" and a book, which was simultaneously hilarious and awesome.
It was a combination of pinning Caleb and just waiting for him to get frustrated and wear himself out that gave us the edge. He start acting like I'd felt after those nightmares, when I couldn't really help how I reacted, and I figured that was a good time to try one last trick.
"Someone get this on video," I laughed. "Caleb," I called his name and smiled wide as his eyes settled on me.
Fuck. Yes.

We won. Ding dong, motherfucking Caleb is dead, and the kind of dead from which one does not return. His body is dust, his plans are in ruins and I am one happy woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment