Friday, April 8, 2011

Sympathy for the Devil

"Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste...
Pleased to meet you,
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game."
The Rolling Stones, Sympathy for the Devil


After the graveyard we hunted down those zombie things. Plagues are never equivalent to cool, and zombies who carry plagues are even less than cool. It didn't take that long. Zombies are neither stealthy nor quick, fortunately for us.
After that we headed to the hotel to close out our rooms and Jack found a card waiting for him, written in Japanese. Jack doesn't speak Japanese.
But someone did, I'm pretty sure it was Nate, and we figured out that someone was asking us to meet them at the docks. Well, it was addressed to Jack specifically and I think the rest of us were included as his sidekicks. Whatever. I was interested in going because they said in so many words that we were badasses. I'm paraphrasing. Maybe interpreting a little bit, too. But that's totally what the author meant.
We actually got to the dock, saw the boat in question and decided that Jack would go in first. He's kinda our meat shield now, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda enjoy seeing him get hit (mostly because I'm absolutely certain he can take it). Gunnar followed behind Jack, I was behind Gunnar and I stopped paying attention to the lineup after that.
The traipse through the boat was short and we found the author of the note quickly. The author, it turned out, was one Tu Suzuki. Tu was the freaky fast Jikininki from Jackson Park.
He was well dressed and looked significantly less like the stuff of nightmare this time. It helped that he wasn't pulping any body parts.
We exchanged words and I don't remember what most of them were. The gist of it was "Hey you guys fight well and that's kinda irritating. P.S. I'm obviously not dead. Gimme back my death claw of doom."
I was a little bummed, I hadn't even gotten to freak Nate out with my awesome Freddy Krueger impression.
That was the boring part. The interesting part was when someone, probably Indiana Esparza, realized (or maybe Tu told us) that a Jikininki is neither titanspawn nor... whatever we are. He's a "third party." And it sounds like there are more things like him, with no allegiance to any side but their own. Probably trying to figure out how to play both sides against the middle.
Add that to the list of things which will likely, eventually, try to kill us.

No comments:

Post a Comment