Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Devil You Know

So, Sly knows where I live. He knows where everyone lives, or so he said.
I wish I'd been less furious when I heard that, because I kinda stopped listening.
Um, lemme start over.

After Gunnar finished talking to the dwarves, and Jack finished calming Ms. Esparza down, and I was still in the midst of staring murder into Sly's face, Gunnar made with the introductions.
Something like, "Mom, this is Laurel, my fiancee." She looked at me and her jaw dropped and I couldn't think of anything else to do so I just waved and grinned tentatively. Kinda like an idiot. I can't even remember if I told her I was glad to meet her. But she was excited, and seemed to be happy. Gods, I hope she started crying again because she was happy.
We told her we couldn't stay, that we had to get back to the kids in Berkeley, and Gunnar turned to me obviously concerned about bringing Sly along. Sly then piped up with, "I already know where you live."
So, like any rational person would, I unholstered Sibyl, held her up with my finger on the trigger, and cocked the hammer. I stopped just short of actually putting the barrel to his greasy forehead.
"Sylvester," I said with a dangerous smile and a lilt of a warning at the end of his name. "What else do you know?"
He says he knows where the whole Band lives. Something his father put him up to. Fabulous news. Which means he knows about Alli and the kids and Brendan's mom, both my houses. The only thing he didn't know what anything about Jack.
And as much as I'd love to take Sly to Mag Mel where I could throttle him without killing him, then throw him off a cliff into the abyss and just let him bleed forever, he might be useful. And if he already knows where I live, and he already knows I'm a Scion, I don't know what other secrets I have to keep from him.
Well, I can think of one. The one about my chat with Manannan Mac Lir. I don't know much about geasa, but I'm pretty sure that's not something I should go announcing.

No comments:

Post a Comment