Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dead On Time

I'm beginning to gain an appreciation for the mind and heart-set of the Loa.
They're a very sensual people, if Baron Samedi's actions are any indication. And those actions... are weird. Apparently for the Baron to manifest, he had to use a ... a horse. To ride. And just for the sake of experiencing something new, Gunnar volunteered. To be ridden. And the more the process was described, the more I realized how prevalently, peculiarly erotic this culture and its actions are.
And, it's weird seeing someone I know, pretty well, performing those...
You know what? This is my journal and I don't have to pussyfoot around the descriptions.
I'm pretty sure my face turned lobster red when the Baron started using my boyfriend's body to grind against Camila and I.
Provocative behavior aside (or included? The Loa seem very much to celebrate every aspect of life), the customs are unusual but fascinating, and it's been difficult not to get caught up in the excitement. It's peculiar, but very much a relief that this occasion has been one of celebration.
Odette, Brigitte's grandmother, has been nothing short of fantastic.
It was very sweet to see the Baron hugging her, telling her he loved her daughter.
It was very weird to see him using Gunnar's body to do it. I keep saying it, and I keep thinking it. I wouldn't say one got used to it, but at least it was easy enough to keep in mind Gunnar wasn't in the driver's seat.
Anyway. Samedi and Brigitte talked a little, before we got down to business.
I brought Brigitte's body in and the Baron... did something. He said the body would keep for a while, until we could get the funeral ready. The Baron did say it would be work. Then he gave Gunnar back the wheel and said he'd return.

So.
Much.
Work.
We had to let... pretty much the whole city know about the funeral. And we had to do it on foot. Door to door. At least, after like... the first twenty, we got the bright idea to say "Pass it on."
We also had to get a band together, which actually wasn't that hard. I was planning to play in the band, Brigitte deserved that much. I grabbed a guitar from a pawn shop and played well enough to recruit seven other people.
Jack and Odette did the cooking, because Jack has apparently worked in every kitchen that's ever existed. I think when I passed through once I saw Brendan in the kitchen too. Guy is just full of surprises. Most of those surprises include Guinness.
The set up was the easy part, at least for us.
As soon as the last pot hit the trunk, Odette passed out. Nate said he'd stay with her, which was fortunate because some pus-troll came in and tore her head off, before setting the place on fire.
But I'll get to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment