Friday, April 8, 2011

Graveyard Train

At the hospital, when we realized that some of the people we'd treated just... weren't going to get better... we started questioning them. And by we, I mean Nate, because I still haven't picked up any skill in interrogation. It's apparently not something you can just learn from watching T.V., or someone else.
Anyway.

After asking the (mostly delirious) patients some questions Nate found out that several of the victims were claiming to have been bitten. I examined the bite marks, which was disturbing because people aren't supposed to eat people, and was fairly certain that there were five different individuals responsible for the bite marks. How exactly the plague was being spread was not entirely clear, aside from the obvious. On the patients who'd been bitten, the punctures from the teeth were obviously the entrance site for the virus.
I can't remember if Nate got out of the patients where they lived, or if he just lifted the information from their charts, but we decided it was up to us to check this out.
We didn't have time to hold the CDC's hands through this investigation to make sure they got it done right, and there was a good chance we could just get this shit done ourselves while Gunnar, Jack, Camila and Brendan were doing whatever it was that they were doing. I mean, I kinda knew what they were up to, we'd been checking in every so often. Well... my check in was more like the one text I sent to Gunnar: "Gonna be a while, treating the motherfucking plague."
A while after we started checking out the houses, I noticed that Nevermore was infected. I'm not really sure how it works, what I can do, but I just know when someone's sick. If they hurt I can tell how badly and what's hurting them. Nevermore wasn't hurting, yet. But dammit, I didn't let him become symptomatic of rabies there was no fucking way I was letting him develop the plague.
And then... something clicked. The victims were gone, some of them had bled but Nevermore hadn't messed with any of the infected blood. So, for some reason, these attack scenes were still virulent. I called the CDC guy to give him a heads up. He suddenly remembered I had nothing to do with the CDC. I suddenly remembered I had better things to do than his job, and told him as much before hanging up.
We wanted to know where these... things... had come from, so we decided to backtrack from the house to their origin spot. Nevermore was instrumental here, especially since it was now dark. He followed some tracks to the St. Louis cemetery, where we found Jack and an unconscious cop. So, yeah. We leave him and quiet Camila alone and my car ends up in the shop and police officers end up unconscious. Conclusion: we should stop leaving him and Camila alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment